Saturday, April 18, 2009

Concerned about missing Algerian artifacts







I have been deeply concerned about the lack of accountablity by the French and major US art institutions for missing Algerian art. I went to Paris a few weeks ago armed with drawings of missing Algerian artwork that was taken out of Algeria in the 1800s. Not only could I not find a single piece of Algerian sculpture, the website itself discusses ( the louvre) Algerian sculptures and they are not on display either. This is extremely puzzling . What the heck would it hurt the French to return these sculptures to Algeria so that they could at least be on display. The louvre is full of sculptures . What would it hurt for these few things that are labeled to be returned to Algeria where they rightly belong? I think what drives me completely batty is that they are not only not on display but they are not willing to let them be repatriated. Selfish and petty as far I am concerned

No comments:

Post a Comment